Monday, August 16, 2010

I met an amazing kid today

His name was Blake, he was a walk-in at the salon, probably 18 years old.  He walked in and I shook his hand and introduced myself and he did the same.

He was young and super cute...like one of those Abercrombie models.  Piercing blue eyes, tall, dirty blonde hair with a slight curl on the ends (which he asked that I cut off).  He had the most amazing manners.  "Yes Ma'am" this "No Ma'am" that.  I mean after EVERY question I asked him. 

Naturally, I struck up a conversation with him, I was cutting his hair and it makes the time pass faster.

He's headed to college in three days, a music school out of state.  Guitar.  I was living vicariously through him because he is cool and I would LOVE to learn to play guitar!  After his undergrad studies, he is planning on going into music law.  Even cooler!!  His parents are paying for his college, but he worked all summer at a Christian youth camp to save up some money to take with him.  (Responsible, even!)

We talked about music and it came to be that we both had the same favorite band:  Needtobreathe and the same favorite song by them: Garden

If you haven't heard of them, I HIGHLY recommend you looking them up, amazingly talented song-writing, beautiful lyrics and music that makes your heart sing.  Seriously:  http://www.needtobreathe.net/

Anyway, Blake was telling me how he got a banjo for Christmas (Needtobreathe actually inspired that because he said they play the banjo in alot of their songs) and he just came back from vacation with his girlfriend's family.  His girlfriend is a year older than him, she went to Pepperdine last year but is transferring to his school this semester.

He also told me that he ended up in my chair because his usual guy is closed on Mondays but his whole family goes to this guy because he is a family friend, he has cancer and they try to help him out.

My mom was in the salon when Blake was getting his haircut and when he left we both had a discussion about what a great kid he was.  Not too many of those walking around but it was so refreshing and such a blessing to see someone like him heading off to start his new life.  I can guarantee that God has something special in store for that young man.

To Blake's parents, you should be so proud of your son and how well you raised him!!  He was such a joy to talk to and be around! 

To Blake, I hope you have an amazing life and that you have an amazing impact on the world!!  I know that God will keep you and bless you in all that you do!!

No comments:

Post a Comment