Wednesday, August 4, 2010

And away he goes!


I had tried talking to Camden about attempting to swim a few times, as summer is steadily coming to a close.  He wasn't quite confident enough to take his floaties off and give it a shot.  His favorite line in the pool seems to be that he "drowned."  "Mom, I just drowned!"  "Did you see me just drowned?"  I have explained to him in as sweet a way as possible that if he had 'drowned', he wouldn't be able to breathe.  I told him that he was doing so well with his floaties on that he could try to swim without them on because it would basically be the same.  "No Mom, I will drowned."  Anyway, this past Sunday I'm not sure what exactly came over him but he gained enough self confidence that he brought up swimming without his floaties.  Daddy and Chan were at the pool with us as well.  So, I took his floaties off each of his arms and let him fly. 

Instantly.  He.  Swam.         

Look, no floaties!
No money paid out for swimming lessons, no begging and pleading from pushy parents, no tears, no fear.  He took a deep breath, plopped down under the water and kicked and pushed his arms out from underneath himself.  It was one of those moments that makes you so proud to be a parent.  I teared up and laughed.  I couldn't stop laughing at this sweet little boy who, back in May, would not jump into the pool and wouldn't get in without his floaties.  I laughed and laughed as he continued to dip down into the water and swim to his daddy like a happy little fish.  He was proud, I was proud, and daddy was proud.  James and I just sat there in awe as he kept going under over and over again testing out his new found confidence.

Speaking of confidence, he even asked us to throw rings out to him so he could swim underwater to find them.  Did I mention that Camden is 4 1/2?? 

On Sunday, August 1, 2010 our precious baby boy learned how to swim.  On this day, I felt my heart smile as my baby boy hit another childhood milestone.  I was so thankful that both daddy and I were there to witness it firsthand.   

Finding rings in the water

1 comment: