Monday, July 26, 2010

Family Vacation 2010, part 1







We trekked on down to Port Aransas, or 'Port A' as it is affectionately called by the locals.  It's a little beach town with a population of just over 3,000.  We were literally three blocks (a seven minute walk) from the beach.  It was really nice to get away and just relax.  It was Camden's first time to the beach too! 

On the ferry
We had to take a trip to Walmart to get some groceries, for this to be possible, you had to ride a ferry. Channing was scared to ride the ferry, panic attack #1.  Needless to say, when we had to ride the ferry on the way back, she wanted to get out of the car and soak it all in...that's my girl!

Day two: our first full day in Port A was f-u-n, we got out on the beach early.  I started building sand castles with the little ones and James and Chayce decided to jump some waves.  A couple of hours into our beach visit, it hits: panic attack #2.  Channing comes darting out of the water screaming and crying that a crab just grabbed her toe and starts yelling "Pick me up!!  Pick me up!!"  And that, my friends, was the end of Channing in the ocean above her ankle.

We were so centrally located that we walked many places, the souvenir shops, another grocery store, to get ice cream, a pizza place, the tattoo shop.  Yes, I said tattoo shop!!  Chayce has been wanting the cartilage in her ear pierced for some time.  I promised her that we would get it done on vacation as a treat to her.  She was scared half to death but she did it...didn't change her mind at the last minute, didn't cry or even cringe.  She even held my hand (her request) without even the tiniest little squeeze.

We had perfect weather the first two days and then scattered showers and a bit of clouds that moved along throughout the day.  We spent time at the beach and finished our days out at the pool which had Camden begging to go to bed by night's end.  Let me just say that our two little ones can be early risers, neither one woke up earlier than 8:45 the whole time we were there!         

I spent most of my time walking the beach searching for treasures, I even got Camden addicted to it.  Chayce and I even got some good quality time together just walking along the beach searching for shells.  I was extremely lucky, I found a whole sand dollar, a live starfish and a piece of coral, among at least a hundred shells, all shapes, sizes and colors.

We visited the cutest little candy shop called Winton's.  They had goodies for the kids, along with sour pickles, homemade fudge and the most wonderful, tasty, deliciousness known to man: homemade caramel with walnuts.  Would you believe that we made TWO trips to this place...we had to get some caramel for the trip home and pick up some for Mimi, caramel is her absolute favorite!     

James and Channing ended up getting sick on our last day there so that wasn't any fun...they missed out on enjoying one last day at the beach and of course it's no fun being sick.  We came back with some wonderful memories and some great tans!  LOL!!  I'm looking forward to going again!   

The kids at the entrance of the place we stayed
Outside of Winton's candy store
Camden by a palm tree just his size 
Daddy and Camden posing
I had to get a picture too
Yes, James is a mermaid and Chayce is a pirate
<><><><><><><><><><>
<>
<><><><><><><><><><>
Ready to get her piercing
"I think I'm ready"

Still needs her mom

Finally got it done

Almost sunset
The whole crazy bunch
Daddy and Cam headed to surf
Check him out...first time ever and he's already a pro
Having the time of his life, catching some gnarly waves
Catching some rays, sporting some braids
The castle 
Speaks for itself
Digging a hole
Fun at the pool...take 1
Fun at the pool, take 2...yes, I hold my nose 
This was a real hibiscus flower, just gorgeous 
Camden has turned into a fish, I call him Nemo
Shakes and ice cream and ice cream beards
Daddy and Camden doing their secret handshake in the ice cream shop

Jumping waves

No comments:

Post a Comment