Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The dinner that almost wasn't...Spaghetti Carbonara

I got up this morning and cooked a big breakfast for my kids since it was my day off from the salon: eggs, bacon, biscuits and gravy.  I did double duty because I was also going to be using bacon in our dinner so I cut up the bacon for our DINNER into 1/2 inch pieces, breakfast bacon strips were cut in half. 

Camden, Channing and I headed outside to wash off all the shells we collected from vacation, which was not an easy task since there were literally pounds of shells!  I come back in and I walk into the kitchen and Chayce has eaten the 60 % of the DINNER BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  She didn't touch the breakfast bacon.  Later she told me that she ate the breakfast bacon because "it was cuter, because it was cut into little pieces."  I started freaking out.  You've heard of crying over spilled milk, this chick was crying over eaten bacon!  I haven't always been a think ahead, get-things-done-early, why wait till later when I can go ahead and do it kind of girl.  I used to be the exact opposite but one day I came to the realization that since I am a wife and mother of three I should do what I can when I can to save my sanity.  I thought I was doing fabulous cooking breakfast and tackling the tedious part of dinner as well.  Ok, enough ranting, sorry.

Anyway, this recipe calls for 8 slices of bacon, luckily I had three left and I ended up slicing up the breakfast bacon that was supposed to be eaten.  After all this, I believe the final dish had enough bacon in it.  Thank you Jesus.

Anyway, on to the yummy, DELICIOUS, and easy to make recipe, which I got off of a blog that I read called Let's Dish.  You can visit it here:    http://letsdishrecipes.blogspot.com/  

Spaghetti Carbonara

1 lb. spaghetti
8 slices bacon (cut into 1/2 inch to 1 inch pieces)
3 large eggs
3/4 cup grated Parmesan
1/2 cup half & half  (I used fat free and it was still scrumptious)
salt & pepper to taste

Cook cut up bacon, drain fat and set aside.  While cooking spaghetti, in a separate large bowl whisk eggs, cheese and half & half.  Drain 98% of water off the pasta, leaving just a little bit of water. I left about 3 Tbs. worth. Working quickly, add pasta to egg mixture, the hot spaghetti will cook the egg, so don't worry about it being left uncooked.  Gently fold in bacon and season with salt and pepper.  Serve immediately.

This was so yummy and easy to make.  My family enjoyed it and I will definitely be making it again.   


I completed the meal with some garlic bread and a salad with raspberry vinaigrette dressing

1 comment:

  1. Yummo! I guess we don't need to cry over spilt perfume when we can cry over bacon :-)
    Totally something I would do and that is why I love you!

    ReplyDelete