Monday, January 18, 2010

One week to go

Today is Monday, we are two weeks into our fast. I gave up the most (facebook, fast food and sugar), while our whole family sacrificed eating fast food. Chayce was tempted many times hanging out with friends, heck I even had to drop her off at McDonald's once to meet up with them, can you say willpower? She really struggled with that one, she texted me and said that it was driving her crazy because everyone was eating and she wasn't. I told her to be strong, Jesus gave his life for us, the sacrifice we are making for three weeks is nothing compared to what He gave.

I myself have struggled quite a bit this time. I have realized how much I 'rely' on sweets for satisfaction. I even found myself angry at times because I just wanted some chocolate. I don't remember it being this hard last year...I have depended heavily on fruits and honey this go'round. It's amazing how delicious a glass of orange juice is when you are really wanting something sweet. To know that I can do this gives me strength...it shows me that I can find other alternatives, natural alternatives to processed sugar. I've been munching on plain oatmeal with fruit, drizzled with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon. I have noticed a difference in my body as well, my stomach is 'trimmer' and I know I've lost at least 2 lbs. I am praying that I can condition myself to stick with this and limit my sweets to special treats and not something I have to have daily. I even made a point to break it to my kids that I will no longer be buying weekly sweets to put in their lunch, that fruits are their new snacks and treats. (Except for the occassional chocolate cake, fresh baked cookies or muffins.) Channing wanted to know if there were exceptions for birthdays, (as if I were going to deprive her of her birthday cake in a few weeks!)

When it's all said and done I am thankful and pleased that I was able to keep in mind the Lord's sacrifice of His only son and Jesus' suffering. With this in mind I was able to change some bad habits and guide my family to a more healthy lifestyle.

The Lord will guide you always; He will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. Isaiah 58:11

No comments:

Post a Comment