Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Another school year has begun

Yesterday came and went as it usually does once a year.  It was the first day of school.

We had dinner, chicken fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy, at the request of the littles.  Pinterest gave me the recipe for our dessert, Cupid Floats, see here: http://eclecticallyvintage.com/2012/02/sugar-high-valentine-party/  

We had a nice relaxing Sunday.  James and Camden took part in the annual Fantasy Football draft.  Channing and I cleaned the house and hung out, while Chayce was away at her dad's for the weekend.  Early bedtimes came and anxious, excited kiddos laid down for the night.

 

Chayce started her Jr/Sr year.  She is classified as a junior but is taking extra classes online to graduate early, in May.  (See my previous post about my thoughts on this.)  Channing started a new school this year.  Where we live, 5th and 6th grade are in their own separate school.  She is basically getting a preview of middle school...she has her own locker, changing classes, expected to be more responsible and has to wear a uniform for the first time.  She's getting so big.  We were in such a hurry to get her to class that we didn't even get a chance to hug and kiss.  I reminded her of that after school.  :o) 



This leaves our little monkey in 2nd grade at the elementary school, all alone.  I cried when we left him.  Channing has been there with him for the last two years, checking in on him throughout the day, walking out with him to the car after school.  I just felt better knowing that they were there together because big sister takes such good care of him.  I am SO thankful that they had those two years together.  Camden mentioned several times over the summer that he was going to be sad that Chan wasn't going to be with him anymore.   



I don't know if it's the fact that Chayce will be graduating this year or what but for some reason I'm really aware of my kids growing up with the start of this school year.  Chayce is gone so much already with work and her boyfriend that many times it seems like we are a family of four but something is always missing.  Nothing makes me happier than when all of us are together.  It doesn't matter where we are, it just matters that all five of us are there.  Yesterday was one of those days and my heart was full.  We were all home getting ready for the first day of school, we all went together to see each of the kids off to school.  Then, James and I spent the whole day together.  That is our annual tradition and has been since all three started school. A whole 8 hour date!!!  This year we went to a movie and then lunch afterwards.  It was so nice.  I told him that we need to start doing days like that more often because we both know that we don't get enough alone time or dates even , for that matter.   

Another first day of school marked off the calendar. 

Another year of cheering under the Friday night lights, soccer games and baseball tournaments. 

Another year of homework, school parties and all three kiddos wanting me to come eat lunch with them at school.

So thankful for another year of this crazy, busy life and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Thank you, Jesus!!

No comments:

Post a Comment